As we fast approach Anzac Day, many will be looking to bake some of these golden delights, but with a plethora of recipes out there, how do I find the right one?
Here at MAD, we’ve been having a good hunt around for a great Anzac biccie recipe, and we think we’ve found a cracker. And just to make it easy for you, we’ve got all the dry ingredients premixed and ready to go right here. Can’t do gluten? We’ve got you covered here.
This recipe is adapted from Monique Bowley’s “The Best, Most Easy Anzac Biscuit Recipe That Ever Existed” (we liked the sound of that!). You can see the original here.
1 bag of MAD Wholefoods Anzac Biscuit Mix or Gluten Free Anzac Biscuit Mix
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda – not baking powder!)
3 tablespoons of boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180C conventional (160C fan-forced).
- Line a baking tray with some baking paper.
- Put the Anzac Biscuit Mix into a large bowl and mix up with a wooden spoon to get rid of any clumps of sugar/flour.
- Melt the butter gently in a small pan and add the golden syrup.
- In a separate bowl, add the boiling water to the bicarb of soda and stir to dissolve.
- Add the bicarb solution to the butter/syrup mixture and stir through (it should foam up a bit) then add this to your large bowl of Biscuit mix.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to combine, then roll into small, golfball sized balls and place evenly on your tray, spaced about 6cm apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes (chewy) or 12 minutes (crunchy) – baking times vary so check on them regularly!
- Once removed, gentle push down to flatten slightly with the back of a fork.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Great with a cup of tea or chai, yum!