These fluffy pillows of pancake goodness are so easy to make a child could knock up a bunch in two shakes of a cat’s whisker…
Ingredients – makes half a dozen medium sized pancakes
310ml (1¼ cups) buttermilk*
A free range egg (we recommend the free range eggs available at Two Fat Butchers!)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (available at Summer Hill Village Fruit Shop)
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
Butter for frying
*If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by squeezing half a lemon into a bowl and topping up with milk (about 1½ cups), then setting aside for 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, empty the MAD fluffy pancake mix, and add the bicarb. Mix thoroughly with a fork to break up any clumps.
- In a separate, larger bowl, pour in the buttermilk, crack in the egg and add the vanilla extract. Whisk gently to combine.
- Add the dry mix to the wet, and mix gently with a spatula until just combined. Don’t worry if it looks a bit lumpy – see below….
- Put a small fry pan on medium heat. Once at temperature, add a knob of butter and, once melted, pour a little of the pancake batter in. It’s pretty thick, so pour from a bit of a height so it forms a round pancake.
- Fry the pancake gently for a couple of minutes, keeping an eye on the edges to see when they look nicely cooked. You should also see a bunch of bubbles appear on the top when it’s ready to flip. Using a wide spatula or egg flipper, gently flip the pancake over, taking care not to “splatter” the uncooked side when you lower it back into the pan.
- Cook the other side for a further minute or two, before sliding onto a plate to serve (you can keep these warm in the oven while you cook up the rest so you can serve them all at once).
- Tumble a few fresh raspberries on top, add a scoop of ice-cream, and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup.
- Stand back momentarily to marvel at your spectacular creation, before devouring in a manner akin to the Cookie Monster.