This super easy rocky road is also vegan, and uses dried fruits instead of marshmallow to give it that delicious, chewy texture.
Rocky road’s origins most likely date back to early colonial Australia around the mid 1800s when it was used as a means to sell confectionery that had spoiled in the long journey from Europe. It was simply mixed with locally grown nuts and cheap chocolate.
This recipe dispenses with the confectionery altogether (and the cheap chocolate!), instead using dried fruits (in this case our Aussie pears and plums, but you can play around with other fruit), and we’ve smothered it in Organic Times delicious organic dark chocolate.
We’ve gone for salted, roasted peanuts as the main nutty element, but you could just as easily use dry roasted almonds, cashews or even macadamias (although you might want to roughly chop these up first).
Prep time: 5 minutes.
Cook time: 5 minutes + an hour to chill in the fridge.
Makes 600g of rocky road.
80g dried pears – roughly chopped
80g dried plums – roughly chopped
50g coconut flakes
- Gently melt the chocolate drops in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water, stirring constantly. (Make sure that the bottom of the bowl is clear of the simmering water!)
- Once melted, stir in the remaining ingredients, ensuring everything gets nicely coated in chocolate.
- Pour into a non-stick tray (about 20 x 30cm) and even out with a spatula/back of a wooden spoon.
- Set aside in the fridge for an hour to chill and set.
- Remove from the fridge, turn out onto a chopping board and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Store in a cool cupboard in an airtight container away from greedy children/partners.
Variations to Try
There’s more ways to mix this up than we could mention, but here’s few ideas to think on. However you mix it up, just try and keep the chocolate to filling proportions 1:1.
- Throw some pumpkin seeds into the mix.
- Use different, chewy fruits; apricots are good, figs or peaches.
- Younger children might prefer it with milk chocolate instead.
- Try adding a teaspoon of Pepper & Spice chilli oil to the chocolate as you melt it to give the rocky road a bit of a kick!