These steel cut oats from Blue Lake Milling have been stabilised (steamed during processing) to neutralise the enzyme (lipase) that would otherwise make them go rancid. Being milled from the whole oat grain (groat), they are quite different from rolled oats, being firmer in texture, and having a slight nutty flavour. To make a beautiful creamy porridge, we recommend the following method.
For two servings;
- ½ cup of steel cut oats
- knob of butter
- ½ cup of milk of your choice
- 1½ cups of water
- ¼ tsp of salt
- cold milk and brown sugar to serve
- Add a knob of butter to a saucepan and heat gently to melt.
- Once melted, add your oats, stirring frequently to toast them evenly (5-10 minutes).
- Add water, milk and salt and stir through. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 20 minutes stirring frequently. Keep an eye on the porridge towards the end of the 20 minutes as it will thicken and can catch!
- Pour into bowls and serve with cold milk and a sprinkle of brown sugar.